In summer, I attended a few events and I was served chaat, quite a lot. I have to admit, it’s so yummy and really simple to make. Suitable for all occasions and the perfect starter.
half a block of tamarind
1 tub of yogurt
2 tins of chickpeas
5 green chillies
teaspoon of salt
tablespoon of red flaked chillies
handful of fresh coriander
teaspoon of black pepper
[Some of the ingredients are optional and the measurements can be adjusted to personal preference]
- First, we start with the tamarind. Soak tamarind in boiled water, for 15 to 20 minutes. Once this is done, sieve the liquid into a bowl/jug.
- Boil potatoes until soft, wait for them to cool down before peeling the skin off.
- Chop potatoes into small chunks and slice in the onions and green chillies into a big bowl.
- Dice cucumber and tomatoes, drain the liquid from the chickpea tins and add them all into the bowl.
- Add in salt, black pepper, red chilli flakes and yogurt. Mix all ingredients together, chop some fresh coriander and sprinkle over the mixture.
- Finally, add in the liquid tamarind and chaat masala.
Try Chaat with Samosas and enjoy!
What’s your favourite starter? Have you tried chaat before?